Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Finisterre, "The End of the Earth"

Finisterre
We got up early and caught the bus to the end of the earth. It is the furtherest western point of Europe, but the Portuguese claim that they have a point of land that is further. It's the same with soccer.
The idea of saving your feet by taking the bus is a misnomer. We still had to walk 6 kl uphill both ways and I had to kill a bear with my journal after we got there to actually get to the lighthouse and the rock that is "IT".
I stood there and looked out over the sleepy blue-green ocean as far as the horizon all around me except for the point I'm standing on. It filled up my senses exactly like the Johnny Denver song. Like Spring in the desert, like night in the forest. I just let it wash over me, I let it fill me up, the smell of the sea, the faint foggy horizon, the gentle waves on the rocks below. Just let it happen. It is the perfect way to make it all worth it.
We took pictures of eachother. We got someone to take a picture of both of us. We wrote on a piece of broken tile with a permement marker our names, where we were from and the date and placed it at the foot of the "Post of International Peace". Yes, we took pictures of eachother holding the "Next Adventure Bandanna". We are going to be on their wall!
There was a real magical meeting that happened. But you'll have to wait until I sleep for that part of the adventure. There are really amazing things to come, some more of our intentions fullfilled. Wow, I can hardly wait to tell you, but one can only sit and type so long before there is numbness and carpel tunnel and blurry eyes. So I'll just tell you that we met a mysterious person. Here's a clue: 007. Until tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment